Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sure enough, replaced the steering linkage and the steering is perfectly smooth now. I did discover what the knocking noise was. The driveshaft has a grease fitting on it, and it's striking the heat shield. The driveshaft itself is iffy, so I'm going to check it out but probably pull the fitting out or dremmel it off, then plug it. That will allow me to drive the car for a little while. I'll plan on dropping the entire driveshaft later and doing a rebuild anyway. I'll have to pull it, because it appears that not only the rear main seal, but also the shifter seal are leaking on the tranny. Plus, I dropped a Z3 shift lever in it, and I need to get in there and replace the front shifter support bushing, which requires removal of the driveshaft anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like its time for summer driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost there. The driveshaft is rubbing the cat. I'm guessing the cat was put on when the old worn-out motor mounts were on it, now that the new ones are holding the engine at the proper location, the cat is too high. It is a lot more solid driving now though.

    ReplyDelete