Saturday, July 23, 2011

Finally solid

Got it back, turns out the transmission mounts I installed were the wrong kind. It was my first order and I spec'd it as an 88, so I don't blame BMA as they probably classified it as an e34. Also got the valves done right, and got some DIY instruction from the shop owner as I watched him do it. Apparently I was leaving them way too loose. Plus they spec .1 on the intake and .12 on the exhaust and I was doing .12 on both.

Runs well now. Still doesn't quite idle like I'd like it to, and there is a dip in power around 3k rpm, so I've got some fine tuning to do. I also need to get some miles on it to get the cobwebs out. She's finally solid enough that I can drive her regularly.

The Bilstein shocks are a little stiff for my tastes, so I'll be anxious to put the Koni's in soon. Here she is all buffed up:
The tach and mpg gauge recently went out, and the trip computer has been dead since I got it, so there is probably a loose connection back there that I'll take care of soon.

Cost: $425

4 comments:

  1. Love the photos. The car is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you adjusted the AFM?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, have that dialed in. I'm pretty sure the Idle Control Valve is on it's way out, so I have one on order. Needs some injector cleaning too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, there is a chance I'll be in Portland with the e28 Saturday, you want to check it out?

    ReplyDelete